If you’re among the millions of Americans facing periodontal (gum) disease, your dentist may refer you to a periodontist. This type of specialist has years of extra training to help patients manage problems such as gum recession and tooth loss. Here at Hudson Valley Periodontics and Implantology, we can provide the treatment you need in a supportive, reassuring environment. Read on to learn how periodontal care can help you keep your confident smile.
Why Might I Need a Periodontist?
Keeping up with oral hygiene and attending your regular dental appointments are key to maintaining healthy teeth. However, sometimes extra care may be needed if you have symptoms of gum disease such as:
- Excessive plaque and tartar buildup
- Bleeding or dark gums
- Persistent bad breath
If left untreated, gum disease can worsen and lead to more serious issues.
What Does Periodontal Care Entail?
The specific treatment you may need depends on the severity of your condition and the symptoms you’re experiencing. Different services include:
- Periodontal Maintenance – As with most health conditions, prevention is the best policy when it comes to gum disease. To help patients preserve and maintain their teeth, the team at Hudson Valley Periodontics & Implantology can develop an individualized care plan with regular oral examinations and dental cleanings.
- Scaling and Root Planing – This noninvasive procedure is often the first step in treating gum disease, and it may possibly reverse your condition in a single visit. The goal of this two-step process is to first remove plaque and tartar that can form at the gum line, and then smooth out the tooth root to allow the gums to reattach to the tooth.
- Extractions and Dental Implants – If a tooth cannot be saved, our periodontists can perform extractions. Also, following the loss of a tooth, they can provide dental implants, which look and function like a real tooth. Implants involve surgically implanting a titanium post into the jawbone, and then placing a crown on top of it.
- Bone Grafting, Bone Regeneration, and Ridge Preservation – Sometimes, the jawbone may not be sufficient to support a dental implant. In these cases – or in certain other instances – specialized services can help rebuild the bone. Bone grafting uses actual bone material, whereas bone regeneration and ridge preservation encourage the body’s natural ability to produce bone tissue.
- Gum Grafting & Crown Lengthening – Gum grafting may be offered for gum recession – a common problem that can leave tooth roots exposed. Gum grafting involves surgically placing a soft tissue graft in place of the missing tissue. Crown lengthening, on the other hand, may be performed to remove excess gum tissue if there is too much tissue covering the teeth.
What Other Services Are Offered?
Here at Hudson Valley Periodontics and Implantology, we also offer the following services, depending on each patient’s needs, condition, and preferences:
- Laser Dentistry – This minimally invasive approach to surgical and periodontal procedures uses a beam of concentrated light to act as a cutting instrument. It can offer a number of benefits such as minimal bleeding, less pain, and faster recovery.
- Sedation Dentistry – For patients who may be anxious about treatment, we offer specialized services to help to support calming and relaxation. This includes conscious sedation, as well as treatment that allows patients to go to sleep during procedures.
Contact Us for an Appointment
If you think you have periodontal disease, the team at Hudson Valley Periodontics and Implantology can help. Make an appointment today by calling us at 845-623-6666.