Dental implants provide a replacement option for missing or severely damaged teeth. Implants are considered to be the highest quality dental prosthetics available in dentistry. They are recommended by dentists and highly desired by patients for their many benefits.
If you need to have one or more teeth replaced, you may be considering dental implants. But you may also wonder if you have time in your busy schedule to get them. How long is the process of getting dental implants? Can dental implants be done in a day? Here’s what you need to know.
What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root. It is made of titanium, a biocompatible material, and resembles a screw. An implant is surgically placed in the jaw where it fuses with the bone through a natural process called osseointegration. An artificial tooth will be attached to the implant to replace the natural tooth.
In cases where multiple teeth need to be replaced, multiple implants can be placed in the jaw to support a bridge or dentures. Implant supported bridges and dentures are more secure than the traditional type, offering improved function and comfort.
Are Same Day Dental Implants Possible?
Although the process of getting dental implants can take a few months, in some cases dental implants and the prosthetic can be placed in a single day. Same day dental implants are possible for single tooth replacement as well as implant supported dentures.
The process for same day dental implants includes the surgical placement of the implant, the attachment of the abutment, and the placement of the prosthetic, all in the same appointment. There will need to be a previous appointment to prepare for dental implant placement, which will include imaging to create the prosthetic.
Am I A Candidate for Same Day Dental Implants?
In order to be considered as a candidate for same day dental implants, some important criteria must be met:
- Good oral health. To be a good candidate for same day dental implants, it is necessary to have good oral health. The gum tissue must be healthy and free of infection.
- Adequate bone density. Another important factor is the density of the jaw bone in the location where the implant will be placed and surrounding it. The bone must be a certain width and thickness to support a dental implant.
- Good overall health and healing capabilities. The healing process may be more difficult with same day implants, so it is important that the patient is healthy and capable of healing in a reasonable period of time.
- Non-smoker. Smoking is one the biggest causes of failed dental implants. It slows down the healing process of the gum tissue and hinders the osseointegration process of the implant and bone. To be a candidate for same day dental implants, you must be a non-smoker or quit smoking.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Whether you get same day dental implants or not, the overall benefits of dental implants include:
- Natural appearance. A dental implant is the most natural looking dental prosthetic because it is anchored in the jaw like a natural tooth.
- Optimal function. The security of a dental implant or implant supported dentures allows your prosthetic to function like your natural teeth.
- Prevent bone loss in the jaw. Dental implants take the place of the natural tooth roots, which prevents bone loss that would occur in the absence of a tooth root or implant.
- Preserve facial structure. Dental implants preserve the natural shape of your jaw and facial structure, which can give you a more youthful appearance.
Where Can I Get Same Day Dental Implants?
Hudson Valley Periodontic & Implantology provides same day dental implants for eligible patients. We can perform a brief evaluation to determine if same day dental implants would be possible and the right option for you.